Homeless Students and McKinney-Vento Act Grant
Eaton RESA is committed to helping students in Eaton, Clinton, and Shiawassee counties who are experiencing homelessness by coordinating the McKinney-Vento grant.
The grant was established to provide homeless students the same educational opportunities as housed students by removing as many barriers to learning for homeless students as possible.
Families in these counties who are experiencing homelessness may seek assistance to receive support for transportation, basic supplies, housing assistance and other essential needs by working with their school’s McKinney-Vento District Liaison.
Contact Rashmi Travis to subscribe to the McKinney-Vento newsletter.
Students may qualify for support provided by the McKinney-Vento grant if:
They are living in a shelter, car, park, abandoned building, campground, motel, bus/train station or are living “doubled-up” with other people due to loss of housing and economic hardship.
The McKinney-Vento Act states Michigan students in kindergarten-12th grade, as well as children enrolled in state or federal funded preschool programs, have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education
- Enroll in school immediately, even if they do not have documents that are normally required
- Enroll in the local school or continue at their school of origin (determined by the best interest of the student)
- Receive transportation to and from school of origin, if needed
- Receive meals through federal breakfast and lunch programs
- Receive educational services comparable to other children, according to their needs
- Call 211 or go to the 211 website for immediate assistance with housing, shelter, and other needs
- National Runaway Safeline or 1.800.RUNAWAY (1.800.786.2929)
Clinton and Shiawassee County Resources:
- For homeless youth supports contact REACH, Traverse Place and Street Outreach or 24/7 at 810.233.8700
- For housing assistance in Clinton and Shiawassee counties contact Capital Area Community Services
Eaton County Resources:
- For homeless youth supports contact Gateway Youth Services or 24/7 at 877.833.3689
- For housing assistance in Eaton County contact Housing Services Mid Michigan
- Posters for youth from the National Center for Homeless Education link for posters for youth
- Posters for parents from the National Center for Homeless Education